Monday, April 28, 2014

Single Mom Finances Part 2

So continuing on yesterday's post...

This is an excellent post on trusting God...

God wants to provide for us. He has blessed us with incredible capabilities and he promises to be the Father of the fatherless and Husband of widow. We are also blessed to have google. :)  Prayer and google have solved many of my problems!



As a single mom, it is important to be able to learn many different skills... It is important to have problem solving skills... 

                                                         

Youtube and pinterest can be the answer to many a problem. I have figured out how to repair lawn mowers, refrigerators, done vehicle maintenance, learned how to care for african american hair, and how to knit by watching youtube videos.  As a single mom, you need to be able to be mom, dad and teacher...



Once a long time ago, as a young single girl living on her own, I asked a friend to change the brakes on my car. He gave me access to his shop, his tools, gave me instructions, then left me alone to figure it out. (I remember I was really mad at him) But I figured it out! He helped me out several times in this way, he was always willing to teach me, but he said he would only do it once, next time I was on my own. That was one of the most valuable bits of help I have ever gotten! I can change brake pads, batteries, head lights, fuses and even oil in my vehicle. Currently I choose to use a good mechanic, but should the need ever arise, I know I am able to do all the above and more! 



Whenever a repairman comes out to fix any of my appliances, I am in his face, asking why and how.  So then the next time said appliance breaks I can repair it. We also pray over our broken appliances and sometimes God brings them back to working condition. 


 I also get the  benefit of teaching my kids to "figure things out". God has given us each a brain and that brain is meant to be used to work life.


It takes a lot of hard physical and non traditional work to be able to figure out how to do repairs. It is also important to assess whether the saved funds are worth it. There are times when saving $5 will cost my kids more in emotional energy and that is not worth the trouble. 

When I first became a widow, I was scared. I did not manage the budget in our marriage. I felt a huge responsibility in following the footsteps of my very wise husband. (his financial decisions at 18 and 19 are still felt today)

I prayed fervently for wisdom. I begged for wisdom. I read scriptures on wisdom. I prayed scriptures on wisdom. I hungered for wisdom. 


Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, 14 for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. 16 Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. 17

 Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed. 19 By wisdom the LORD laid the earth's foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; 20 by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew.

21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; 22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. 

23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; 24 when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 25 Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, 26 for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared. 27 



No comments:

Post a Comment