Friday, May 30, 2014

When Mom Needs Grace

A year ago we had a family event that drastic and suddenly changed life. I had checked out a bunch of library books. Today was the first time in over a year that we went to the library. I had late fees. Staggering late fees.


WE got there 5 minutes before the library closed. I had promised the kids if they had good behavior I would get them each  their own library card.  (yes, we are geeks)


I knew we only had 5 minutes. The lady behind the desk sharply reminded me of this the moment we walked in. I asked the kids to quickly pick two books while I request forms for their cards. She gave me the forms and made it clear that she would NOT be bothered to get us cards today.

I then went straight into paying my fine. It had been lowered because we had eventually returned some books. But was still very high. She informed me that I had to pay cash or no books. The computers were all shut down already.

I had promised my kids cards and books... I couldn't just make them walk out of there without any books.

So I dug in my bag and pulled out all my cash and carefully counted it, I was $10 short. I hesitated, looked at her grumpy face then to my excited kids. Yes I know what kind of irresponsible mom has such huge fines.. I know I know.. lol But her attitude was annoying...

I asked if they could let me borrow books, if I paid with what I had. She started to respond sharply, when from around the corner,our favorite librarian popped up with "oh, let me adjust that. We want you to be able to use the library" and then she deleted the extra ten dollars!!!". I thanked her over and over while Miss Grumpy librarian checked out the books the kids had chosen.

Made my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment