Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day for the Single Mom

How do you celebrate Mother's Day?

For many adoptive families, Mother's Day is a bittersweet day.

Adoption allows mothers to become mothers without giving birth. It gives children loving mothers.

Adoption means mothers have lost their children, some willingly, some not. It means  children have lost mothers who wouldn't or couldn't parent.


#reallife

For us, Mother's Day represents loss and redemption. Some kids focus on the redemption, some focus on the loss...

As a single parent, Mother's Day is hard. Except that I have started celebrating myself. (I know! I know! But I do! lol ) My theory is that no one else will teach my kids to appreciate me...




So Friday at Walmart, I let them chose flowers which I then bought for myself! lol Yes, I do buy myself flowers!

Friday night Mr. H, our pastor of care brought pizza to help the kids celebrate their awesome mom. His words not mine. lol I don't compliment myself, I only buy myself flowers and gifts! ;)



Oh and Nesiah brought a cute card and flowers home from school!



What are some ways you can encourage the single mom, the adoptive mom, the mom suffering loss of a child?


For the single and/or the adoptive mom
1. bring a meal so she doesn't have to cook.
2. clean her house
3. take her kids to buy her gifts. (my best friend does this for Christmas and I think it's such a neat idea.)
4. bring her kids flowers, to give to her.
5. a gift card


For the adoptive mom:
1. offer to babysit
2. show her kids that YOU think she is a good and loving mom
3. help her kids make something to celebrate the blessing of mom
4. take a meal
5. babysit

For the mom who lost a child:
1. send flowers in memory
2. talk about the missing child
3. give an extra hug
4. send a card




Edited to add: At church this morning the kids gathered up front to tell their moms what they appreciate about them.... My son says "I am thankful my mom adopted me". #tearjerker

No comments:

Post a Comment