Sunday, February 14, 2016

Real Life!

Some weeks life is just exhausting!

Our Momma Goat had babies! I have pictures but they are not uploaded yet!
The babies got to cold and did not drink right away. We brought them inside and bottle fed them. But then I could not handle the mess in the midst of everything else. So we took them back out to the momma and every 4 hours around the clock for the next 24 hours I went out and helped them latch on Momma and drink! They survived the coldest temps of the season in the barn!



My kids broke my last lamp for the living room. Long story but my kids are getting to be big and it's been COLD for weeks now! My boys also broke the glass globe on the basement lamp and my laundry basket. Yes, I make them pay for the things they break!

                               



We live in a house with 2 heating systems. One is forced air and  heats the master bedroom (girl's room) and the other is hot water heat and heats the rest of the house.

The second unit is very old, older then me! It does not work well and uses up massive amounts of fuel oil. So for the past 4 years I have heated the main house with 2 Eden Pure heaters!
One evening this week, after years of using these two heaters, I plugged one heater into the wall and it smelled dangerously hot within minutes then shut off. I got rid of it.

When I went to unplug my second heater.  There was black charring on both the plug and the outlet! I threw that one out too. Now to shop for a new heater!

                                     


This week I realized that I was going to run out of hay AND my main entrance gate has 2 ft of  packed snow on both sides! There is no way I was getting that open and there was no way a truck would get up through the pastures from the other gate!!  Long story short, but after much prayer I called a neighbor that sells hay. He saved me by delivering a load of hay on Saturday!



 Tonight I made a big pot of gluten free ravoli, only to discover that instead of being filled with meat it was filled with BUTTERNUT squash! I REALLY dislike butternut squash!


I decided it was time for "book it" pizza! So I loaded all the kids in the mini van, everyone was fussing about the cold and squishing into the van. I was distracted and went to back up and BACKED INTO my big handicapped accessible van!! #livingmynightmare
Thankfully, the big van has massive bumpers and it didn't hardly scratch it. But the mini van has a nice dent in the bumper! But, hey we got pizza!

This has been the coldest, most miserable week for the season. We have spend hours keeping the animals warm/safe and the kids entertained.We made donuts and had a hot cocoa party in the barn.
We loved on the baby goaties. We drove on icy, snowy roads through snow squalls to pick up a bulk order of groceries. This is the stuff memories are made of!

No comments:

Post a Comment